Deep Green Resistance Australia -

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Earth Healing Ceremony at Northey Street

A few weeks ago I was invited to take part in an Earth Healing Ceremony at Northey Street City Farm.  This went ahead yesterday evening around sunset, with myself and five others gathering in the Healing Circle after work.

I was coming to this without much of an idea of what an Earth Healing Ceremony was, but I was keen to be there and experience it.  My friend who was organising it had some basic steps he wanted to carry out, the main one being that after gathering, each participant would set out on their own, with some small crystals, to walk the site of the farm.  These crystals were to be buried, with healing intention, in any particular locations where the need was felt.

So we met, talking and sharing a little food while waiting for everyone to arrive.  We also took turns stirring a small basin of water, alternating directions every now and then.  Later, each of us took some of this water with us to disperse along with our crystals, or as we saw fit.  The practice of stirring in one direction, which creates a pattern, and then changing direction, which breaks that pattern to create a new one, is something that one of us borrowed from biodynamics.  The alternation of order and chaos and the simple aeration of the water is supposed to have a charging effect.  In any case, it provided a focal point for our small circle, which was without a fire or altar.  I also enjoyed watching the slow swirling of the water, and also appreciated that the water I took with me on my private walk had been touched by us all while we had gathered our healing intentions.

Before setting out, and while stirring the water, we all shared out ideas about Earth Healing, which proved to be diverse but with much in common.  We also sang a couple of simple songs about connecting with the Earth, and we passed a Mugwort smudge stick around the circle, silently purifying ourselves and the space.  We also spent a few minutes in meditation together.

By the time we headed off individually to bury our crystals it was getting dark.  I had never been to the farm after dark except on festival nights when there were hundreds of people around and lights and music.  It is a different place when animals rustle secretly across the ground and in the trees, and shadows darken.  I was also aware, as I performed my own part in this working, that some of these strange noises around me could have been other Earth Healers, scurrying about getting up to who knows what beneficial mischief.

My own experience focused on an area that was half lit - that is the large car park adjoining the farm.  In particular I was drawn to a large fig tree near the centre of this space, possibly because it was well lit.          After removing some plastic litter from around the tree, I got to know the tree a little.  It really is beautiful, especially the way some of the roots sit above ground in a swirling pattern.  Anyway,  I made my connection with tree and with the place, buried my crystals and dispersed my water.  In doing this, I received as much of a healing blessing as I could have hoped to have conferred upon the land.  I didn't expect to connect with a car park, but it became clear to me that the land was still there under the bitumen alive and waiting to emerge.  I encourage you to have a close look at the huge fig trees in this area, next time you are parking your car, shopping at the organic markets on Sunday mornings, or just passing through.  Look closely, and listen to what the trees might have to say about the place they live in, where they are rooted much more deeply than a thin layer of bitumen.

We gathered again in the Healing Circle and shared some of our experiences.  We also sang again, this time holding hands, and I felt that we had become closer to each other and to the land.

This was my first ceremony in the Healing Circle and I am so grateful for the space and for the companionship of all those present.  I'm very much looking forward to the bonfire and ceremony at the farm's Winter Solstice Festival, which will involve many, many more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grasstrees at D'aguilar National Park

Grasstrees at D'aguilar National Park
Grasstrees at D'aguilar National Park